Registry Back-up

Abel 11:20 12 Jun 07

I'd be grateful for an idiots guide for backing-up the Registry on my machine. Also, in the event that I need to do so, how do I reinstate it? My machine is playing-up and I want to run Ccleaner to sort out any registry problems before attempting to run Scannow.

Abel

MichelleC 11:29 12 Jun 07

Go to RUN, type in regedit, then File/Export, save as type 'all files'. Just by double-clicking on icon will revert registry.

matofthemint 11:33 12 Jun 07

Click Start, Run, type in regedit, OK. Click File, Export. Type in a name you can remember, save to a place you can remember (I usually use My Documents).
To restore go to the above file, click on it. It will ask if you want to add the information to the registry, click yes.

matofthemint 11:35 12 Jun 07

MichelleC was faster to the reply.

Abel 14:08 12 Jun 07

Many thanks MichelleC and matofthemint. I had envisaged the process as being terribly complicated and requiring a good deal of techy knowledge. I suppose it's like a good many things, when you know how it's simple.

Abel

Abel 14:08 12 Jun 07

Many thanks MichelleC and matofthemint. I had envisaged the process as being terribly complicated and requiring a good deal of techy knowledge. I suppose it's like a good many things, when you know how it's simple.

Abel

Abel 14:09 12 Jun 07

Abel

Dae 20:51 12 Jun 07

I am not a Registry expert, but it is frequently said that using Regedit is not a good way to back up the registry.

Instead, Google for ERUNT, which is free, and see if you like that.

You will read, and here I quote,
Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS for making a complete backup of the registry.
Neither does it export the whole registry (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive
is saved),
nor can the exported file be used later to replace the current registry with the old one. Instead, if you re-import the file,
it is merged with the current registry without deleting anything that has been added since the export, leaving you with an absolute mess of
old and new entries.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…