Registry

Revi 16:59 26 Feb 04

Eversince I did my last Windows Update, that was yesterday, my PC (Win 98 SE) is working extremely slowly. I checked the Registry & find that lots of unknown programs bear a tick mark. I guess this must be the problem. Would someone please tell me which are the 4 or 5 programs which absolutely need to feature in the Registry as ticked ? I've already checked the archive for this but found no help.

Revi 17:22 26 Feb 04

^^ ^^

Gongoozler 17:30 26 Feb 04

Hi Revi. What do you mean by "checked the Registry"? Do you mean the Startup list in msconfig? If that is the case, let us have a list of what is there & we'll see if we can spot something that is likely to slow down your computer.

Revi 17:31 26 Feb 04

^^ ^^

Revi 17:36 26 Feb 04

Hi again after many months!Thanks a lot, yes I mean the Startup list in msconfig. To give you the entire list would be quite difficult because I have to go back and copy each of them one by one by hand. Could you not instead give me the names of the minimum 4 programs that need to be there?

Revi 18:01 26 Feb 04

^^ ^^

Revi 18:23 26 Feb 04

^^ ^^

GaT7 18:32 26 Feb 04

Hi Revi, Sorry to hear your recent Windows update made things worse - it does happen to some of us - I know : (

The 4 most important programs you should allow to run at Startup would be (in my humble opinion):

1. ScanRegistry (for automatic Startup registry backups)
2. SystemTray (self-explanatory)
3. CriticalUpdate (for automatic Windows critical update checks whenever you go online)
4. TaskMonitor (if you have any automated tasks setup in Task Scheduler)

I'm running Win98 SE too with 10-15 loading-up at Startup, like Norton Internet Security, Tweak UI, TransDesktop, etc., for specific (& potentially) important reasons.

So, it may also depend on the software you have installed & what YOU would like and/or NEED to run at Startup.

Let us know some of your main installed programs/software. The 'minimum 4' at Startup may well turn out to be a minimum 6, 10 or more.

Gongoozler 18:39 26 Feb 04

Hi Revi. Sorry about the delay, but the wife called me away for my dinner!!

The essential startup items may not be the same for your system as for mine, but I would say that as a minimum you need ScanRegistry, TaskMonitor, SystemTray, LoadPowerProfile (probably twice). You may also find programs for your printer, scanner, graphics and sound cards and antivirus software although these won't stop Windows working.

If you want to send me a list of your startup items, you can maximise the System Configurarion Utility (msconfig) on the Startup tab, then press your Print Screen key. This will put an image of the screen in your copy buffer. Then open your graphics package (such as IrfanView), or a blank Word document, paste the image and save it. Then if you e-mail me via the envelope alongside my nickname, I can let you have my email address and you can send me the copy of your screen.

Gongoozler 18:46 26 Feb 04

You may find this useful click here

Revi 18:46 26 Feb 04

Hi, thanks for your help. I intend to first try out editing my registry on the guidelines given by you, this will take some time as I intend to go off my PC now. I'll revert with a list of the main installed programs/software if the problem still persists.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…