Registration Details

1Dummy 12:47 27 Oct 03

Just bought a used PC for my daughters (Dell Dimension 4100) and would like to change the previous users' registration details to theirs.

If this isn't done the previous owners name comes up when looking at the properties of a document and on the computer details e.g. using Belarc advisor.

Had a look through the help files but can't find anything on it.

Can anyone help ?

WaiKent 12:49 27 Oct 03

registration for what? the Operating system? i would recommend a format as it would ask for new reg details to be put in, but if you do that you need the recovery disk, if the OS is preinstalled onto a partition, but if not then use the windows disk. not sure if this will work but worth a try.

woodchip 13:06 27 Oct 03

You will have to go into Regedit to do what to want.
If you are comfortable to do that say so for instructions

1Dummy 13:19 27 Oct 03

Woodchip, if Regedit is reasonably user friendly then yes !.

Is the change needed to user.dat ? can I just type over the previous name to create my daughters name ? .......... Thanks

AndyJ 13:28 27 Oct 03

Try X-Setup downloadable at click here It's free - I think you can change registration details under "User Data" providing your using either NT; 2K or XP

1Dummy 13:35 27 Oct 03

Andy, this one is 98 SE, thanks

MAJ 13:41 27 Oct 03

It's relatively easy to do without downloading anything. Go to Start > Run, type "regedit" (without the quote marks) click OK and the registry editor will open. Navigae to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

Click on that CurrentVersion folder in the left pane and it's contents will open in the right pane. Double click the entry named "RegisteredOwner" and change the value, do the same for "RegisteredOrganisation" then exit the Registry. Job done.

Remember to backup the registry first.

beeuuem 14:39 27 Oct 03

If you are wary about editing the registry, this simple programme from click here
will allow you to change the owner and organisation of the system.

fitshase 14:56 27 Oct 03

If it is in MS Office that you want to change the details (you mention documents) then open Word, click on Tools\Options then click on the User Info tab.

Change the details there and that should work for all Office applications.

Regards

Fitshase

1Dummy 15:08 27 Oct 03

Thanks everyone - problem resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…