Registering windows xp help needed

Bike-it 21:23 22 Nov 08

I tried to register windows xp on a neighbours computer but it keeps telling me on the windows registration page that this copy is already registered.
I got the product on the computer after I downloaded keyfinder from Download.com it found the key in seconds.
What can i do now?

mgmcc 21:56 22 Nov 08

Do you mean "registered" or "activated"? It is *ACTIVATION* which is essential, otherwise Windows will stop working after 30 days from installation.

If the copy of Windows isn't "activated", you should be prompted to do it each time Windows boots and it can either be done online or by phoning Microsoft via an 0800 number that should be displayed on screen. If the copy of Windows is genuine and online activation fails due to the copy already being in use, use the phone option and explain the situation to Microsoft.

lotvic 21:57 22 Nov 08

Is there a sticker on the outside of the case with the XP product key on it?

How long has XP been installed on this computer and what is the history of the install?

Is the XP OEM, or Retail?

Where did your neighbour get XP from.
Bought or pre-installed?

It is difficult to advise without knowing the background.

Bike-it 13:12 23 Nov 08

Mgmcc a set of keys keep appearing on the taskbar whenever he starts up the computer prompting you to register windows, the copy of windows came preinstalled on his computer, he never received any xp disc.
lotvic there is no sticker anywhere on the case. he is using this computer about five years, but he recently got updates from microsoft and since these updates he keeps getting prompted to register windows.

Anyone have the telephone number for microsoft, What hours do they work?
Thanks

ronalddonald 13:40 23 Nov 08

of doing it over the net, ring the free uk telephone number and register that way, just tell them u had to reinstall the xp because of hardware conflict. Should come up when the computer asks when u have to register or go to start and clck on the keys icon

mgmcc 13:51 23 Nov 08

>>> Anyone have the telephone number for microsoft,
>>> What hours do they work?

If it was an "Activation" problem, the appropriate 0800 phone number would normally come up automatically on screen but try click here

Firstly though, check in the Startup tab of MSCONFIG to see if there's anything obvious that you can disable to prevent Windows from prompting to register each time it boots. I think it is only asking for the copy of Windows to be Registered which, unlike Activation, is optional and unnecessary.

Bike-it 14:58 23 Nov 08

mgmcc had a look in the start up tab to be honest i dont know what i should be looking for nothing seem to jump out at you.

lotvic 01:59 24 Nov 08

So have you sorted out yet whether it is Activation, Validation or Registration that you keep being prompted to do?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5