Registering Windows XP

Antz 13:42 08 Dec 07

Okay, before I begin I know I am trying to take the easy way out but at least I am being honest.

I have access to an old P3 1GHz machine and I want to install XP so my children can play their games. I know I can purchase a copy on-line for approx. €80.

I was wondering what would happen if I install the copy that I legally own( with my first PC)and then connect to MS' update service....would it detect that the OS is already activated and ask me to purchase a license online?????????

Just a thought!!!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:48 08 Dec 07

would it detect that the OS is already activated and ask me to purchase a license

yes

would also register that number as pirated and you would not get downloads for either machine with it on.

If your only paying 80 euros for a copy that is proably pirated aswell

XP to play games on a P3 may be too slow anyway.

birdface 13:55 08 Dec 07

I am not sure but if there is an OEM sticker on the old P3 machine with the Key Code on it.You may be able to use that.But I am sure someone will be able to tell us different.

Ray5776 17:01 08 Dec 07

Clone the hard drive from your legit machine to the other one and make sure you disable updates on the other one.
If you think you need updates, download them to your primary and transfer them to the other.
Questionable as to whether one should do this but will work.

ray

spuds 17:19 08 Dec 07

Try it and see, failing that, you could purchase XP for £50.59 or Vista for £61.05 from Ebuyer including free delivery click here-(OEM)

spuds 17:22 08 Dec 07

Somethings is not quite right with the link. Try Software OEM in Category on opening Ebuyer web page.

Antz 17:48 08 Dec 07

I think I will be better off purchasing a copy of XP.

Fruit Bat; I doubt if this is a pirate copy.
click here

Thanks to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…