Registered To?????

AJ25 17:01 23 Feb 06

I have a notebook (IBM thinkpad) which has XP Pro as the OS. When it was created, it was done with a name (not mine). So if you look in the properties of 'My Computer' and the 'General' it states "Registed to" and then the name of the person it was meant for.

I have inherited this machine and I want to change that to my name so the 'Documents and Settings' on this machine hold my name and not my predecessors.

I guess it is to be amended in the registry somewhere.

Please help urgently

VoG II 17:02 23 Feb 06
  mattyc_92 17:45 23 Feb 06

Open the registry (Run->Regedit) and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
Now just change the value for RegisteredOwner and RegisteredOrganization.

Remember to BACKUP THE REGISTRY before applying any change!!

bluto1 19:54 23 Feb 06

AJ25,
If you have RegScrub installed on your PC click it on. Near the top right hand corner is a button marked "Misc". Click on it and youll find your answer to how to register your OS in your name.

AJ25 15:09 28 Feb 06

Thanks VoG

That worked but I expected it to have a knock on effect. Ultimately, what I want to do is to have the <Documents and Settings> folder to be changed also. Any idea how I can get that done. I can't rename it as Windows thinks it's a system file that can't be renamed or deleted

mattyc_92 17:11 28 Feb 06

What do you mean by "Documents and Settings" folder?
You mean the folders inside this one?

AJ25 07:36 01 Mar 06

I mean that when you look at the folder tree, under IBM Preload C are 3 folders. These are <administrator>, <all users> and <Lee Campbell>.

I'm not Lee Campbell. The laptop was set up for him but in the end I got it. I want to get my name in all the places that matter. When I click on the start menu and choose <My Documents>, I get the Docs in the Lee Campbell folder.

mattyc_92 09:48 01 Mar 06

OK, go to "Start->Control Panel->User Accounts" and click onto "Create a new account"
Type in your name, or a nickname, and click Next. Select the "Administrator" option for the account type and click the apply button
Now, log off out of the "Lee Campbell" account and into your account ("Start-Log Off"). Go back to the "User Accounts" option in the "Control Panel" again, and select the "Lee Campbell" account
Select the "Delete Account" option

Thats it... You may need to apply this tweak as well, so the Welcome Screen doesn't keep appearing (so it automatically logs you in):
Go to Start->Run and type in "control userpasswords2" (without quotations) and untick the option "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer"
Type in YOUR username and your password for this account (if you have added one, if not leave this field blank). Now your computer will log you into the computer, without asking you for your username and password :-)

Please note that you will need to backup all your "My Documents", "My Pictures", etc... before you delete the Lee Campbell account. You can just go into these folders with the new account and cut + paste everying into your user account

Hope that helps

AJ25 10:12 01 Mar 06

Thanks mattyc_92. Unfortunately, in the User Accounts, the only two there are mine as sys admin, and guest. There is no Lee Campbell. I'm pretty sure this problem is a result of installing XP with his name. My guess is that I have to change a regsitry file to get ris of him.
I followed your instruction in the Regedit, but when I followed your path, there was no registered owner or organisation. I have used the program sent by VoG whihc has changed the <Registered to> but nothing else. I wonder if I should do a find and replace all in regedit (if that's possible.

mattyc_92 11:03 01 Mar 06

"Computer Management" option. Go to "Start->Control Panel->Performance and Maintenance->Administrative Tools->Computer Management"
Now, in the "Computer Management" tool, navigate to "System Tools-> Local Users and Groups->Users".
Is the "Lee Campbell" account listed there?

mattyc_92 11:12 01 Mar 06

Screen-Dump of the Regedit guide click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017