Region code problem when copying

nazarene 21:34 15 Jun 10

Hi, I live in Australia and so obviously the dvd burner in my pc is region 4. I want to copy some dvd's using dvd shrink so that I have a back up disk and therefore preserve the set of originals. These are for my own use and permitted under copyright law here. The originals are region 1 however. When I attempt to copy it tells me I only have 2 changes on region code left and the it becomes permanent. I have at least 10 to copy. Is there something in dvd shrink I can use to over ride this? If I purchased a region 1 dvd burner would that work and be compatible with my pc and the other burner? Any other ideas? Thanks.

I am Spartacus 00:20 16 Jun 10

Despite this being ancient (in PC terms) it still is one of the best click here

james105051 14:15 18 Jun 10

I suspect what you mean is the region code on the DVD player rather than the software. If you put in a region 1 dvd it will change the region code in the DVD drive firmware to region 1, then you can copy all 10 of your DVD's, using software to recode the copies to region 4. Next time you put in a region 4 DVD it will change the firmware in the DVD drive back to region 4, and no more changes will be allowed.

If you locate the manufacturers site for the DVD drive you have, there may be an updated firmware, and when this is installed it will reset the drive back to 5 changes, I also believe, although I haven't tried it that even if you re flash with the same firmware version it will reset to 5 allowable changes.

ronalddonald 21:34 29 Jun 10

Good day mate i have a pint of fosters!

onthelimit 08:41 30 Jun 10

You must be joking - something Aussies never drink!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…