Regedit and Task Manager keeps closing itself....

ikle_pixie 14:41 24 Mar 04

As soon as i open Regedit and Task Manager they close. They stay open during safe mode which is making me think maybe there's still a virus living in the depths of my pc..

Any ideas?

Windows 2000

Diodorus Siculus 14:49 24 Mar 04

Try an antivirus scan; then a check for spyware:

click here
Lavasoft

click here
Spybot-S&D

click here
CWS

temp003 16:32 24 Mar 04

Definitely virus.

Did not not also have another virus a few days ago?

In the meantime, if you need to use these applications (to fix your problem), disable Hide file extensions, make a copy of the c:\winnt\regedit.exe file and rename the copy to regedit.com. Double click the .com file and see if it stays open.

Copy c:\winnt\system32\taskmgr.exe and rename the copy to taskmgr.com

ikle_pixie 16:40 24 Mar 04

no viruses and all spy-ware that was found was deleted...still cant get them to work...

ikle_pixie 16:44 24 Mar 04

regedit stays open now ive renamed the copy to .com....but it didnt help with task manager.. that hardly stays up now, all that comes up now is the green cpu usage icon in the system tray.

Yeah i did have a virus a couple of days ago, but i thought it had gone, everything is up and running again.

ikle_pixie 22:40 24 Mar 04

any idea's?

GaT7 23:04 24 Mar 04

Do a search for ipstack.exe & sys78.exe on your PC & tell us if they are present. Also, search for them in your Registry - there may be many entries here.

VoG II 23:09 24 Mar 04

Which virus did you have?

harps1h 23:16 24 Mar 04

i had the same problem a few weeks back. i think it was the gabot virus i had. go to click here there are fixes availble there

temp003 23:32 24 Mar 04

Can you run msconfig?

temp003 23:50 24 Mar 04

Best thing is still let antivirus software detect it and sort it out. Try these online scans.

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…