regedit help for novice

brigtoo 12:41 19 Nov 04

i recently uninstalled sisoft sandra & norton firewall & antivirus. the sisoftware icon is still in control panel. regedit shows a sisoftware folder in hkey current user-software and Hkey local machine-software, which also contains a symantec folder. do i simply highlight these and delete or do i have to open them before deleting the contents?

Sethhaniel 12:48 19 Nov 04

click here

it will pick up the pieces of uninstalled programs and should clear sisoft from your system ;)

Diemmess 12:50 19 Nov 04

Highlight and delete. Simple as that, but this is a loaded gun and just as final, so be very sure the registry is backed up before touching any part of it.

Gongoozler 12:53 19 Nov 04

Hi brigtoo. For safety, download RegSeeker click here. Create a new folder and unzip RegSeeker to it. Double click Regseeker.exe to start the program. Click on "Clean the Registry, tick all the boxes and OK. All the entries with green notes are totally safe to remove. Those with red notes are usually safe but not guaranteed to be so. I've never had problems deleting them all. As long as there is a tick in the box for "Backup before deletion", you can restore the registry from the backup file.

brigtoo 12:54 19 Nov 04

am using xp home, is registry backed up by system restore?

Graham ® 13:08 19 Nov 04

No!

From Help and Support:

'System Restore monitors and restores only the partitions and drives that it is configured to monitor'.

Gongoozler 13:19 19 Nov 04

The good thing about RegSeeker is that it won't let you make unsafe deletions. If RegSeeker doesn't cure the problem, then is the time to use Regedit.

brigtoo 13:58 19 Nov 04

have downloaded regseeker, cleaned up 312 entries, icon still there, went into regedit, deleted folders for sisoft and symantec, icon still there. regseeker search, via "find in registry", for sisoft and sandra, deleted all, icon still there,tried opening it,says cant open and it tells me to uninstall then reinstall and im sure i heard a snigger from it. will i have to live with it? surely there must be a way or have the icons gained control?

spikeychris 14:12 19 Nov 04

"am using xp home, is registry backed up by system restore?" The answer is yes - not no. The reg is restored if you use system restore.

Technotiger 14:12 19 Nov 04

Hi, try this click here download/install XP Tuner, lots of options, may do just what you want. Good luck.

ventanas 14:46 19 Nov 04

Have a look in C:\Windows\System32 and see if there is a Control Panel Extension for Sandra. it will be a .cpl file. If you find it just delete it. Make sure it is the right one though, it may not be obvious by its name. Before you delete one copy it somewhere else first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…