Regedit domains - okay to delete?

CurlyWhirly 17:11 20 Jul 04

I have installed and run an anti-spyware program called SpywareBeGone and rather than pay the registration fee is it okay to delete the registry entries from the registry using Regedit itself?
I have also noticed loads of junk and clutter in here and this is located at HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Internet Settings/ZoneMap/Domains

Here is an example of some of them:
101lottery.com, 4pokertips.com, 69teenage.com, absolutdialer.com, aregay.com, burgerkingbigscreen.com, etc,etc
What are these entries for?
Are they important as if not can I safely delete them?
How did this crap get on my PC in the first place?
Any advice anyone?
CW

Graham ® 19:09 20 Jul 04

They will belong to the spyware program. They are among the domains that spyware looks for. Uninstal the program in Add/Remove.

Then download, update, and run:

Adaware click here

Spybot click here

Spywareblaster click here

Graham ® 19:16 20 Jul 04

Be aware that some of these programs will 'find' a 'false positive' which will ask you to purchase the full program to remove. In other words, it may be a scam.

CurlyWhirly 21:00 20 Jul 04

GRAHAM

I already use SpyBot, Spyware Blaster and Ad-Aware but nothing is found but when I run SpywareBeGone it comes up with loads of entries (like the ones listed above) which I don't think are harmful but I was just wondering that by having them on my system could they be reponsible for pop-ups which aren't blocked with AOL's pop-up blocker?
If they are responsible do you know if it safe to delete them?
CW

iambeavis 21:37 20 Jul 04

I may be wrong about this but I think that these are sites which are in Internet Explorer's restricted sites zone. They should have a REG_DWORD value of 0x00000004(4). It may not be a good idea to delete them - but, as I said, I'm not too sure.

CurlyWhirly 21:45 20 Jul 04

IAMBEAVIS

Cheers for your reply - yes ALL of them seem to have the REG_DWORD value of 0x00000004(4) so I have decided to ignore them and NOT delete them!
So that SpywareBeGone program was a scam as it suggested I upgrade to the registered version to get rid of these entries!
All the best CW

iambeavis 21:52 20 Jul 04

Go to control panel/internet options/security, click on the restricted sites button then click on sites. You'll find them all in there.

CurlyWhirly 16:42 21 Jul 04

Iambeavis

Doing it your way with CONTROL PANEL > INTERNET OPTIONS > SECURITY / 'restricted sites' is much safer than editing the registry!
Would anything be achieved by deleting these entries?
To think that SpywareBeGone was trying to get me to upgrade to the registered version to delete some of these entries when I can delete them myself should I wish to!
The cheek of it!
This is what they call a FALSE POSITIVE is it?
CW

GaT7 16:58 21 Jul 04

CurlyWhirly - no don't delete these entries as they're currently being blocked by IE (if they have an 'Always block' setting anyway). Deleting them would only expose your PC to these shady sites.

SpywareBeGone is a bogus spyware removal tool - click here.

As Graham says Adaware, Spybot & SpywareBlaster are good enough for the majority of users. Others I've used are Spy Sweeper & PestPatrol which sometimes find stuff that the others have missed, but they are shareware programs. HTH, G

iambeavis 17:19 21 Jul 04

I'm sorry , I should have been a bit more clear with my reply. The REG_DWORD value as it's set denotes 'Always Block' as Crossbow7 says. A value of 1(1) would mean 'Always allow' and the fact that they are in 'restricted sites' shows that they are blocked. As Crossbow7 also says, if you delete the entries you will be exposed to them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…