RegCleaner and start-up list - how to use it?

kainos 17:27 08 Nov 04

Since loading SP2 boot-up has slowed dramatically and so have all my programs, Office included. It is as though I have run short on memory but with three-quarters 'free space' on hard disc and 512 of memory this seems unlikely. I have run CleanUp, and defragment.
Having looked at other threads I have downloaded RegCleaner but am daunted by it asking me what I want to clean.
Just looking at the start-up list (there are 27 items on it) I do not know which ones I should tell it to deal with and what will happen if I get it wrong.
Can someone please advise how a dummy like me should use RegCleaner and how likely it is to cure this dramatic slowdown.

iambeavis 17:42 08 Nov 04

Tick the items you don't want on the start up list and choose "remove selected".

bertiecharlie 17:47 08 Nov 04

I don't have RegCleaner anymore but the opening page gives you a list of Installed Software if I remember correctly. When you uninstall a programme, it usually leaves some registry entries behind. You should only tick the items that you know you have uninstalled.

kainos 18:02 08 Nov 04

Thank you for response. However my problem is that the items on the start-up list have such obscure names or descriptions that many of them I have no way of knowing what they are. Presumably if, in my ignorance, I remove something I shouldn't I shall be in deeper whats-it than I am now.
Some of them I can recognise, but I have no way of knowing if they should remain in start-up.
Is the start-up list likely to be the root of the problem of dramatic slow-down?

VoG II 18:05 08 Nov 04

click here to find out what they are,

iambeavis 18:13 08 Nov 04

The start up list in RegCleaner is simply a list of all the different programmes which start when you turn on your computer. If you look in the "filename" column you will see the full path and somewhere in there will be the name of the programme, regardless of whatever it might be called in the "Program" column.

iambeavis 18:20 08 Nov 04

If you download StartupRun from - click here
you will find the same programmes named in it's list but Strun will give you the option to disable rather than remove the entries so if, at any time in the future, you might wish to re-enable them you can.

wotbus@ 18:32 08 Nov 04

You may find this link here Good luck.

oseven 19:19 08 Nov 04

If you haven't worked in the registry before leave it alone.Yuo are more likely to cock up something rather than clear enough disc space to make the effort wothwile.Reg. cleaning rarely saves 1/2 a gig anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…