Regarding an earlier post...

Fateful Thankful Shadow 22:40 30 Jul 03

As the title suggests...this is to do with an earlier post.

I sent a post to the forum saying to be on the lookout for viruses on Messenger and Hotmail, then I was told that it was a hoax and I got a web address to go to.

I went to that address, and it had been translated into Spanish.

Now, 3 days on, I've got complaints from many people saying that I've been sending an e-mail with a .pif virus in them. And guess what...the message was SPANISH.

I don't know if these two things link, but I'd sure like to find out why this has been happening. I'm lonsing friends rapidly!

Fateful Thankful Shadow 22:47 30 Jul 03

I just got a delivery notification saying that I couldn't send some e-mails to certain people...but I don't even know them!!!

This is really worrying me now. I have no idea what is happening! I don't know how many of these e-mails have been sent out...or by who!

Ironman556 22:48 30 Jul 03

To temproarily stop emails being sent without you knowing, go through your address book and put a 1 (or other character)in front of each address, then when you load an address for use in an email just delete it so you have the correct address.

You could also disable sending mail from your PC via POP3 and log into the web-based email until you get the problem sorted.

Can't helpy you with anything else though, sorry.

VoG II 22:52 30 Jul 03

THe web site you were "sent to" was a Spanish one which is why it was in Spanish.

If you are still worried do an on-line scan - take your pick click here click here click here

Mango Grummit 22:57 30 Jul 03

I had a similar thing happen to me a few weeks ago. People were getting quite cross about it (none of these people I knew and they may not even have existed in reality) and kept e-mailing me to complain about e-mails I had allegedly sent them. Through the day it got worse so I took that address off for three days and on reopening it had no more problems.

Fateful Thankful Shadow 23:24 30 Jul 03

A few of my friends on MSN have also been recieving strange Spanish e-mails with viruses in them. I've done a complete virus check twice and still no sign of a virus.

I don't think Symantec know about this. It looks like some kind of worm...

VoG II 23:53 30 Jul 03

What evidence of a worm etc.? The scan engines that I posted use heuristic detection - i.e. they look for unknown viruses based on patterns used by known viruses. If they check out OK, then your system is virus-free.

It is far more likely that your e-mail address is being spoofed click here

Mango Grummit 00:00 31 Jul 03

VoG is right. You've been spoofed like I was. No worm or anything to worry about. Close your address temporarily as suggested and it will go stop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…