Refurbished laptop -how to connect wirelessly

grandmat 06:46 AM 10 Nov 10

I have bought a refurbished Dell 610 for one of my grandchildren and the previous owner connected with a dongle. I want to connect to my own wireless network, but it keeps saying no wireless card(?) detected. How do I do this please (am an oldie so simple instructions if possible)

I am on BT Home Hub and have the BT Cd and wireless network key

mgmcc 09:28 AM 10 Nov 10

If the previous owner connected with a dongle, then the Laptop doesn't have an internal Wireless Network Adapter. Have you also plugged in a dongle (USB Wireless Network Adapter) in order to connect to your wireless network?

grandmat 09:59 AM 10 Nov 10

No havent got one - would you know how much they cost and what type I need?

mgmcc 11:59 AM 10 Nov 10

Something like this should do the trick click here

I use one of these in a Laptop running Windows XP which doesn't have a built-in wireless adapter.

grandmat 16:20 PM 10 Nov 10

Thank you for this.

Could I have a internal wireless adaptor fitted? or would the external usb adaptor be the cheapest solution?

dms_05 16:46 PM 10 Nov 10

The dongle recommended would be the simplest and cheapest way achieve a Wireless connection.

grandmat 17:02 PM 10 Nov 10

Many thanks for your answers and patience. Will purchase a dongle - but is the one highlighted in
mgmcc post the right one for a dell lattitude 610?

mgmcc 19:36 PM 10 Nov 10

If the Laptop is running Windows XP, which I assume it is, then the adapter I suggested should be fine. The make of the Laptop isn't really significant.

grandmat 19:54 PM 10 Nov 10

Thank you so much for all your help, will order one as its the best solution

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Steve Albini's notorious email is now a punchy music video

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…