Refreshing Browser Content

thegreypanther 12:15 10 Feb 05

I run a couple of sites which are regularly updated, - new information and photos are posted every few days.
However, when visitors come to these sites they often see information that predates the latest data. When they tell me they can't see the latest story or photo, I have to tell them to refresh their browser content (using Ctrl> f5> for MS Explorer).
Is there a way that I can set up the web page(s) so that visitors will ALWAYS see the latest information? Is there a Meta Tag, or some other trick, that works?
Sites such as the BBC never have this refresh problem.

Talented Monkey 14:36 10 Feb 05

This problem is proberbly arising from using the dreaded F word, Frames. One work around to force a browser to reload everytime is to put in a document expiry meta tag, with an old date, any date will do even from start of this week. The browser will load the cached version from visitors pc, see an out of date version and download the "new" content.

put the following line in between your <head> tags

<META http-equiv="Expires" content="Mon, 07 Feb 2005 12:00:00 GMT">

It may be useful if you give us the websites in question then maybe another suggestion can be given.

thegreypanther 16:16 10 Feb 05

I am delighted to say that NONE of my websites use frames! I gave them up years ago.
However, to the topic in question, - I shall certainly try that meta tag right away. Anything to stop people telling me that they are only seeing the old pages, when they haven't even thought of trying "Refresh" or <Ctrl><f5>.
The websites in question are;-
click here
click here
There are others which give rise to the browser refresh problem, but these two websites give me more trouble than any of the others.

Eric10 18:12 10 Feb 05

You may want to look at examples #4 and #5 on this page. click here

thegreypanther 18:59 10 Feb 05

Many thanks for the advice.
Invaluable advice, - as always, from PC Advisor!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…