Refresh Rate Problem.

SABRE 06:51 22 Jul 03

Recently had a new motherboard fitted on one of our office PC's. The user complained of screen flicker so I tried to up the refresh rate but there was no facility to do so. It only comes up at a default setting. Is this because the graphics is integrated into the motherboard? If so, will fitting a graphics card help and how do I tell the machine to use a fitted graphics card rather than the on-board one? Also, I am trying to get from the company (Vibrant/Tatung) drivers for the monitor. Will these help?

davidg_richmond 06:57 22 Jul 03

Check that the graphics card driver is installed properly. I am led to think that Windows is running from the generic display driver instead.

-pops- 07:16 22 Jul 03

It is normal for motherboards to be supplied with a disk of essential drivers and manuals etc. This should include graphics drivers if the board has integrated graphics. The drivers loaded initially are only sufficient to get you going whilst setting up.

The drivers on the disk are likely to include other things apart from graphics drivers and it should be a priority to install them to be able to use the computer to its full advantage.

DieSse 07:37 22 Jul 03

Change the monitor type to an Acer 15p (this will cause no problems with the monitor - it's just a good basic monitor definition for monitors that don't have their own inf files).

You should then find the choice of refresh rates appears.

SABRE 08:34 22 Jul 03

Well done everyone. I presumed that when the motherboard was fitted that all relevant drivers had been installed. Lazy bugger hadn't done that. Have now installed all drivers that came with the motherboard disk and hey presto, can now set refresh rate. Only up to 75Hz available though, so seems like a bit of a c--p motherboard.

DieSse 08:42 22 Jul 03

Try the monitor trick - you should get more settings - as long as the monitor can support them.

-pops- 09:08 22 Jul 03

75Hz should be adequate for most people, I believe. I use that setting on the machines I have built and never had any complaints.

SABRE 13:02 22 Jul 03

Great help. Problem sorted!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…