refresh in folders

frasernet 12:08 19 Apr 04

can anyone help me? when i try to rename a file or folder in my shared folders. when i click away from the selected item {normally the file would be renamed at this point} the file name reverts back to how it was, until i refresh either by right click or F5. strange, i can't think what i've done, other folders away from this one are ok. any ideas??

GrahamP 12:11 19 Apr 04

What's the full name of the folder?

frasernet 12:19 19 Apr 04

the folder name is 'shared documents' is that what you mean?

GrahamP 12:29 19 Apr 04

Shared documents is not a straight forward folder. It is a shortcut to the Shared Documents folder in All Users. I don't know what would happen if you tried to rename it there.

Having said that, if you really don't like it's name I'm sure there are ways of changing it. I'll have a look.

GrahamP 12:37 19 Apr 04

There are registry settings for the name and location of this folder and it would probably be more trouble than it is worth to rename it. In addition it is the standard folder used for sharing files both within a computer and over a network. You could be creating a lot of difficulties for yourself by renaming it.

frasernet 12:57 19 Apr 04

i am not trying to rename that folder, i am trying to rename it's sub folders and contents, ie; picture names. as i say it will let me but i need to refresh for the changes to take effect.

GrahamP 15:36 19 Apr 04

On my machine anything I rename within Shared Documents shows the new name immediately without need for a refresh. Do you have a network running?

frasernet 17:18 19 Apr 04

nope, no network, it is an intermittent fault, works fine occassionally, copied that folder to my slave and rename is fine, weird, any more thoughts?

GrahamP 14:23 20 Apr 04

click here for a couple of suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…