Reformat/wipe C drive then reinstall XP Home?

mdshamilton 13:49 25 Apr 03

I did a clean install of XP Home on my PC as it's 5 yrs old and suddenly running very slowly. I followed XP Home's, including formatting the C drive from FAT32 to NTFS. The only thing is - my C drive is 20 Gb, and I have 13 Gb used up after installing XP Home and XP Office. I opened the C drive and there is still a whole load of old software etc in there. Is there a better way of re-formatting the disk to wipe out all existing data before doing a clean install of the OS? How do I go about doing this?

Very grateful for your help as I need to get the PC up and running this weekend.

Thanks,

Mark

Terrahawk 14:02 25 Apr 03

did you choose the quick format option if so go back in and choose the full option alternativly remove the progs you want to get rid off then run defrag

King Diamond 14:08 25 Apr 03

It looks like you have just installed XP over the top of your old stuff, thats the reason you are seeing all the old files.

Can you set you cdrom to 1st bootable device in the bios?

Once you do this insert the XP disc and restart the pc. When prompted, press a key to boot from the cdrom.

Go through the various XP agreements ect, but when you get to the format drive section - do a full NTFS format of the drive.

Is you hard drive partitioned?

If so...once you have installed XP on the C: drive and your up and running, you should manually right click on the other partition in 'My Computer' and click on format to clear the second partition.

Make sure you have system restore switched off as well as that eets up hard drive space.

mdshamilton 14:37 25 Apr 03

Thanks KingDiamond - I'll give that a try. I'm not confident mucking about with the bios but that should be simple enough.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…