Reformatting your PC

Ade_1 15:11 20 Aug 05

This might seem a simple thing to do, but i wasnt sure if i just reinstall windows, and not keeping the files or if you do something different. Sorry if this seems a simple thing to ask. So if you could help me i would appriciate it thanks alot.

Completealias 15:25 20 Aug 05

What windows are you trying to reinstall? Why do you want to format and re install?

You can either try to do a repair installation of the operating system which will keep all of your files or you can format it and this will wipe everything and then install a fresh copy of windows.

Ade_1 15:28 20 Aug 05

i want to jhust wipe the hard drive really, and it would be windows XP home edition, (which i already have)

Ade_1 15:36 20 Aug 05

so how do i go about it? do i just put the Windows XP install CD in and do it that way or not?

Completealias 15:37 20 Aug 05

Do you have a full windows CD or a recovery disk?

Ade_1 15:39 20 Aug 05

i have a recovery CD.....

Completealias 15:45 20 Aug 05

Ok first you need to make sure your computer is set to boot from cd first you do this from in the BIOS. When you start the computer you'll see a message saying press .... to enter setup press that key and then look for the boot order. If it is already set to CD ROM first and then Hard drive thats fine just exit.

Put your recovery cd in the tray and start the computer you'll get a message saying press any key to boot from cd press a key and now follow the onscreen instructions to complete the recovery.

You may just want to try booting from the cd first before going into the BIOS as theres a good chance it is already set to boot from cd first, if it doesn't thou you will need to go into the BIOS.

Ade_1 15:47 20 Aug 05

thanks very much for you help

Ade_1 15:47 20 Aug 05

thanks very much for you help

Completealias 15:50 20 Aug 05

No problems

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…