reformatting - xp to win2000??

Camille 21:20 28 Jul 04

Had numerous problems with a pc running win2000. A friend 'kindly' offered to fix it by installing xp. However, they didn't do a clean install - as all the programs that were originally installed are still there, only xp won't open them (or allow me to uninstall them).
I need to do a clean install. I don't have the xp disk. My pc disables setup on the 2000 cd as it says it's an older o/s! What are my options?

johnsims 21:24 28 Jul 04

Format and do a clean install, making sure you backup your data first. Windows will not let you put an older system over the top of a newer one as you have discovered.

temp003 00:20 29 Jul 04

It's not advisable to continue to use XP when you don't have the CD. You'll run into practical problems later.

If you still have the w2k CD, you can boot from the CD and enter w2k setup. (If necessary, go into BIOS setup to change the boot order to boot from CD-ROM drive first).

Once in W2k setup, press Enter to go into Setup, F8 to accept agreement. Follow the prompts. Your choice is always to install a fresh copy.

You will be asked where to install a fresh copy. Highlight C drive, and press Enter. When given formatting options, choose Format with NTFS file system.

After formatting, files will be copied to the hard disk, and you will be asked to reboot. On this reboot, leave CD in, but do NOT boot from CD. Let computer boot from hard disk. Then continue with installation.

Camille 23:46 04 Aug 04

Thanks - have been decorating, so haven't been able to go online up till now. I do have the win2000 CD and had problems entering setup. Your instructions seem clear enough - but I've not worked on BIOS before - how do I enter BIOS and change boot order?

temp003 01:00 05 Aug 04

To enter BIOS, when the computer first starts, you need to press a key or combination of keys.

The Delete key is quite common, but it can by anything, like F1, F10.

When you turn on the computer, there usually is a message at the bottom of the screen "Press [key] to enter BIOS Setup" or something like that. That's the key to press. Press it a few times.

Once in BIOS Setup, you just have to find the option for boot device priority (it can be called different things in different BIOS setups). Look for boot priority, boot order, boot device etc.

Save changes and exit BIOS.

THE TERMINATOR 01:04 05 Aug 04

Before you install anything, have you tried running the programs you have installed already, in compatability mode? Right click the shortcut to your program(s) and choose properties, and click on the compatability tab, and enable RUN THIS PROGRAM IN COMPATABILITY MODE, and from the pull-down list, choose "Windows 2000"....TT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5