Reformatting Windows - Virus Help please

mhurford 14:31 PM 19 Oct 11

I have a problem, lots of viruses on the computer & am going to do a reinstall and upgrade to windows 7. I have alot of information and files Pictures + Music etc on 2 extra internal Hard Drives.

If i reformat my C: Drive do i have to do anything to protect my D: and E: Drives?

In addition to this if i keep the files on my D: & E: drives do i run the risk of retaining viruses?

What is the best way of going about protecting my Data and ensuring a clean install? I have very limited access to external Hard Drives to store pictures on and the information would span ALOT of disc's

Thanks for your help.

johndrew 14:47 PM 19 Oct 11

Why not put the reformat on hold and use some good anti-virus and anti-spyware software to clean your PC? I would suggest you do all scans in Safe Mode to minimise any virus/spyware activity.

Having done a good set of scans you could then use one of the online offerings such as HouseCall to provide a further bit of confidence.

If you insist on a reformat, you will still need to ensure your D: & E: drives are clean or risk reinfection. However, other than cleaning them you should be able to save all safe data.

For a safe system you need a decent firewall that provides both in and out data transfer protection, a good anti-virus and a good anti-spyware program - all three are available for free, check the downloads on this site. You should also check any CD/DVD/Floppy/HDD that you connect to your PC if it is from an unknown source; additionally stay away from suspect sites!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: When is Black Friday & what are the best tech Black Friday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the animated Christmas ad everyone's tallking about

The 84 best Mac games: Brilliant RPGs, shooting games, adventure games and puzzlers for Mac OS X