Reformatting and reinstalling on a laptop

kevvyb 14:46 18 Apr 03

Am going to give a friend a hand to reformat and reinstall win98 on his laptop.

I have completed numerous reinstalls on my desktop with full retail installation disks.

Are there any general issues that I need to consider with regar to laptops as opposed to a desktop?

Am aware that we may be working with the manufacturers recovery disk (am finding out) and would need to check with them exactly what the routine is.

I suspect that the drivers for motherboard, monitor and graphics are probably all integrated into the OS installation routine if these bits of hardware are integrated into the motherboard?

spikeychris 14:51 18 Apr 03

No difference at all with a notebook, if you are using a recovery disk all you do is boot from the disk (set the BIOS to boot CD first) and follow the on-screen prompts. This will however not be a regular format, it will get rid of all data so back up first. All the drivers you will need will be on the recovery disk.

Chris

kevvyb 14:56 18 Apr 03

Thanks Chris,

When you say this wouldn't be a regular reformat, how is it different. I thought that any reformat would wipe data from the HD??

spikeychris 15:08 18 Apr 03

Re: regular format.

The standard way to format a HDD as you know is to boot from floppy and give the command "format c", With a reload/recovery disk all you have to do is boot from CD and auto pilot kicks in.

You are right when you say any format will wipe the disk its just that a recovery disk does it different from the standard way. You will also find that a regular format will wipe the drive of all data and leave it that way, a recovery disk takes the system back to the state it was when it was created, ie: it will contain all the programs that where installed, things on the line of M$ Works etc.

Chris

Chris

Belatucadrus 15:20 18 Apr 03

What Bios has it got ? phoenix bios on a laptop will probably need phdisk to set the save to disk feature.

kevvyb 16:07 18 Apr 03

Thanks spikeychris that's made it very clear.

Belatucadrus - don't know yet on the BIOS. What's phdisk and what's the save to disk feature?
Would this not be included in the recovery disk as spikeychris said?

Belatucadrus 17:30 18 Apr 03

PHdisk is a small DOS utility, if the laptop has got Phoenix, it'll probably be on one of the driver disks. Save to disk basically sets aside enough space on c drive to store all RAM contents, so if your laptop hibernates or automatically shuts down, it stores everything and opens in the same condition when you start again. PHdisk is the utility that creates the area for save to to use. Other BIOS do it other ways.

kevvyb 18:14 18 Apr 03

Thanks Belatucadrus, that's very helpful.

Belatucadrus 11:39 19 Apr 03

click here for a more detailed explanation

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017