reformatting old hard drive

steerstuffer 01:15 09 May 06

I took the old hard drive out of my old computer which has Windows 98 SE installed on it. I got some old files off it by using an enclosure but now I would like to reformat it and install XP on it like my new computer. What are the steps in doing this? Thanks

fleamailman 01:58 09 May 06

Hi, first and foremost see if your comp can take XP, no point doing it otherwise.

click here

steerstuffer 02:14 09 May 06

My new computer all ready has XP. I just want my old drive( from another computer that blew)to be XP also.

goonerbill © ® 02:20 09 May 06

do you want to use your old hard drive in your new pc, is that what you mean. if that is the case, set it to slave (look on the back of the hdd and the will be a little connector connecting 2 pins. you will need to move it to the slave position) connect it to the cable the other hdd is connected to after fitting it into the case and then boot up (you may need to go into the bios so that the motherboard see's it) and reformat it in windows using NTFS format.

steerstuffer 04:08 09 May 06

Yes, that is exactly what i want to do. It is all ready seen so where so I go to reformat it by "NTFS" as you stated. Thanks

wobblymike 07:36 09 May 06

Go into Windows explorer, select the drive by clicking on it once, right click it and select format - thats it

goonerbill © ® 09:39 09 May 06

click on start button, click my computer, right click the drive you wish to format and a list of options will appear, one will be format and select NTFS in file system option, done.

steerstuffer 03:19 10 May 06

Reformatting the 2nd hard drive went well. Now I need to know some info. I want to put games on the 2nd hard drive so they don't take up space on my main hard drive. Do I need to install XP on the 2nd hard drive also to play these games or just install the games on the 2nd hard drive?

dth 10:04 10 May 06

Your install of Windows XP will cover both your computer drives.

To put games on your secound hard drive you need to do:-

1) for new games

when you install a new game you need to change the install setting so that it goes on your 2nd drive - rather than the 1st drive

2) for games already installed

you have to un-install these and re-install them as above

steerstuffer 16:43 10 May 06

How do I know that the games will be installing on the 2nd hard drive and where do I find the install setting? Will it give me a choice to where I want it installed? Thanks

Smiler 17:07 10 May 06

Do a custom install not a default install when installing the games.
This will give you the option to change the drive letter where the main files for each game are stored.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…