reformatting hdd

king joe 16:10 27 Jan 07

I urgently need assistance with regard to reformatting my hard drive.When I go through command prompt to reformat I get the following
error:'Format cannot run because it is in use by another process.Format may run if this volume is dismounted first'.I follow the prompts but then it says something about volume still being locked.I am running XP Home on my pc.

Pamy 16:13 27 Jan 07

Will you be installing XP Home back on ? If so I think it will format and install for you.

cappac 16:15 27 Jan 07

you are booting into the xp disk at start up

Eric10 16:18 27 Jan 07

You can't format the system drive from inside Windows and even the command prompt is actually a simulation run by Windows.
If you have a Windows XP CD then boot from this and you can format during the setup as stated by Pamy.
If you don't have an XP CD then you should have some procedure or a CD to Restore your PC to its factory condition which will include an option to format.

Pamy 16:39 27 Jan 07

So tell us what you did to reformat your hard drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…