Reformatting the HD

The Earl Of Sabden 11:22 24 Jun 04

Hi Guy's..

I want to install XP Pro but currently have on my PC Windows 98.... What is the best, safest way to install XP Pro? Is it to install over the top of 98 or format the HD..

Do I format the HD in BIOS, please show me how.... Many thanks, EOS.

MichelleC 11:41 24 Jun 04

If you want to replace 98 it's best to fdisk and format (you can use a 98 boot disk for this). Here's a good guide click here

Change your bios bootup sequence to boot from floppy then follow the prompts.

Dumble452 12:02 24 Jun 04

If you have a separate partition on which you can install XP you can then keep Windows 98 on the original partition and have a dual boot machine.

Hyperangelic 12:26 24 Jun 04

Some software will install quite differently on XP from on 98 so much safer to format and then install from clean drive. Just make sure you back up your data before you do it!!

sexgodmcr 13:02 24 Jun 04

Although anything but a pc pro I have always had problems when I have tried to install xp over another operating system - format the hd and install clean every time but make sure you back up all your files etc first and have as many of the installation disks for your hardware / software available to make the reinstallation go as smooth as possible.

xania 13:05 24 Jun 04

Also check that all your drivers (especially your modem - you don't want to lose your internet access by default) will work under XP. If in any doubt, go to the web sites and download the most up-to-date drivers.

The Earl Of Sabden 18:08 24 Jun 04

Problem sorted.... EOS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…