reformatting hardrive

jimmandy 22:21 01 Feb 03

i wanted to do a fresh install of windows on a completely clean hard drive. I inserted a windows 98 start up disk into A drive, I got to A>, I typed in format c:. I let the pc format c drive. I then hoped or understood i was to insert the windows installation disk into D drive, type in d:setup and the installation would commence. Surprise surprise invalid drive came up instead. Anyone got any ideas or suggestions please??????

Djohn 22:23 01 Feb 03

Try E drive instead.

Djohn 22:27 01 Feb 03

. C. will re-boot from drive “A”, at this point it will automatically borrow a section of your hard drive to store files and name it drive “D” don’t worry about this as it will alter itself after installation. It will now offer you 3 options, choose option 1 which is (Install with use of C D drive).

If you now look at the screen it will have given your C D drive a temporary Letter such as “E”. & you will be left looking at a flashing “A” prompt. A:/> .

At this prompt Place windows disk into C D drive. (leave floppy in A drive”). Type the letter E: it will look like this. A:/>E: and press ENTER. You will now have an E:/> prompt on your screen, Type the word DIR & press ENTER, this will start up your C D drive and download directory files to P. C.
When it has finished (10 seconds) you will once again be looking at the prompt E:/> (remove floppy from drive A). Type the word setup & press ENTER.

jazzypop 22:29 01 Feb 03

AS djohn says, if you are installing from a W9x startup disk, it creates a temporary ramdisk, which becomes drive D:, so the first CD becomes drive E:

If you look carefully at the onscreen messages when you 'boot with CD-Rom support', there is usually a message that says 'your CD drive is now drive E:' (or similar wording).

Typing e:setup should do it.

Legolas 22:30 01 Feb 03

your A: prompt should look like that not A>
when you boot up with the win98 cd in the drive it should give you the option of booting from the win98 cd choose this option and the setup should begin

jimmandy 22:38 01 Feb 03

i have just restarted pc up, it told me i had an ivalid disk, that was with nothing in a or d drive. i placed 98 start up disk in A drive, on the screen i have got to A:\>, i have placed windows installation disk into D drive, what next?????????

jazzypop 22:42 01 Feb 03

Leave the W98 CD in, and the floppy disk out. Reboot. With luck, your PC will boot from the CD, and you will be able to install.

If it doesn't, you will have to go into the BIOS and change the boot disk order - set your CD rom as the first boot option, then continue as before.

Djohn 22:44 01 Feb 03

If you boot with out any disk in drive you will get that message. Switch off place flopy in drive and re-boot.

At the a prompt, type E: and press enter.

Prompt will then change to E:/

Remove floppy and place CD in drive and Type the word, SETUP and press the enter key.

jimmandy 22:50 01 Feb 03

i have followed instructions, booted up with windows start up disk in A drive, i get to the prompt A:\>, i type in E: enter but the response is invalid drive specification and returns to A:\>

i have followed instructions, booted up with windows start up disk in A drive, i get to the prompt A:\>, i type in E: enter but the response is invalid drive specification and returns to A:\>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…