reformatting hardrive

gemma_loan 19:33 29 Jan 05

Hi, Im having a few problems wiht my computer (running slow, loads of errors) basically being rubbish and I was going to reinstal windows XP and see if that would work. Unforch I dont have the disk that came with my computer - is there any way I could do this without it? I also dont have the drivers disk for my graphics and sound card and things does this matter?

gillersuk 19:47 29 Jan 05

i wouldn't reformat without those disks as there is now way of getting the drivers and operating system back if you reformat the drive. To make your computer faster, delete all the programs that you don't use/need and then download spybot (to get rid of spyware that slows down the computer) and CCleaner which gets rid of junk files and registry files (both of these also slow down your computer). to download just search in google for "spybot" and "ccleaner". Good luck

gemma_loan 20:10 29 Jan 05

Hi at the mo iVe got spybot, adaware, cw shredder spy subtract and norton anti virus 2005, Ive got no programs on that i dont want/need and ive stopped loads of stuff at start up - now im stuck!

woodchip 20:16 29 Jan 05

You could Try this as the Windows Files may be on your Disc, and Windows should remember where they are. from the Run box Type

SFC /SCANNOW

just as you see it and press enter

gemma_loan 23:03 29 Jan 05

That didnt work - it said I needed my windows disk
Im being a bit of a pest tonight arnt i!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:49 29 Jan 05

click here to back up your drivers.

look on the harddrive for a folder i386

running winnt.exe in this folder will reinstall XP

but back up everything you want first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…