Reformatting Hard Drive - Yep, I know, again.

Cook2 17:12 18 Jun 04

I decided to have a spring clean, transferred all my music, pics etc. to my second hard drive and started Command Prompt. Format C: 'What's the name of the Volumne'? 'Hard Drive One'. 'The drive must be 'dismounted', do you want to dismount.? 'Yep'. 'Can't'! Start again in Safe mode, same results.

Tried Search, above, couldn't find anything. Thats silly because I've seen a number of threads about formatting and partitioning.

Could someone remind me please. XP Home, NTFS.

temp003 17:17 18 Jun 04

Boot up computer with XP CD, press Enter to enter XP Setup, follow the prompts, and your choice is to install a fresh copy of XP. After choosing where to install (your C drive), you'll be given formatting options. Choose Format with NTFS file system. After formatting, files will be copied to hard disk, and will restart. This time, keep CD in but let computer start from hard disk.

woodchip 17:22 18 Jun 04

The Volumne'? is the name that you or Manufacturer as named the C:\ drive

Cook2 17:23 18 Jun 04

Thanks temp003, I'll get on to it now and let you know how I get on.

Cook2 21:53 18 Jun 04

Thanks for that temp003, the first word in your reply kicked my brain cells into gear.

woodchip. Typo, probably hit two keys at once. Mind you, the way I was feeling I could so easily have hit it with a 14 hammer,
volum-n-b-g-h-u-j-k-l-e.

Seriously though, everything is now up and running smoothly.

Cook2 21:54 18 Jun 04

Darn, done it again 14 what? pound....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now