reformatting hard drive

Bomberboy1943 17:14 03 Mar 04

I wish to reinstall window xp on a clean slate what do i put in to re format my file system is NTFS I have a dos disk what do i type in at the A promt

Diodorus Siculus 17:19 03 Mar 04

You need to boot with the WinXP CD if your pc will allow that. Go into the BIOS and see what options are there under boot devices.

When you boot with the XP CD you will get an option to reinstall and format ect.

keith-236785 18:05 03 Mar 04

try what Diodorus Siculus says above, failing that download and make a win98 start-up floppy from click here (win98 is the best one)

boot with the disk in the drive, choose start without cd rom support, once the ram drive is created, type at the prompt A:>

D: +PRESS RETURN to change to the ram drive (change D: to whatever your system says is the ram drive)

then type format c:

once done, restart your pc, enter the bios and change the boot sequence to boot cd rom first.

insert your winxp cd, remove the floppy

restart pc again

on rebooting, windows xp setup will start automatically. choose install and follow the on-screen instructions.

This format will be fat32, if you want NTFS you will have the choice during install.

good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…