Reformatting hard disk

Gothdj 22:34 31 Mar 03

I have been reading on this forum about reformatting hard disk every once in a while.

Please can anyone advise exactly what the benefits are, and how often this is recommended, and how to go about this?

I am Win 98 SE, 128Mb, 20gb hard disk, P3.

Cam-330894 22:39 31 Mar 03

Generally the word seems to be "if it aint broke..".
I only format after a lot of installs and uninstalls or if there are error messages that slow me down. I wouldnt do it just for the fun as it takes the best part of a day to backup and reinstall.
Last words dont do it unless it is absolutely necessaty

daba 22:45 31 Mar 03

only do it if all else fails.

there are some excellent tools to repair windows, FATs etc. Norton Utilities being one.

my history:-

pc bought from from work as surplus was P2-100MHz with Windows 3.11

since then upgraded W95, then hard drive, then CD-ROM, then motherboard with P3 400MHz, in new case, then W98SE, then hd again, then CD-RW.

still not been re-formatted, and all is working tickety boo !

Bapou 23:15 31 Mar 03

Quote by author Dan Gookin in 'PCs for Dummies' (page 383) -

" You never need to to reinstall Windows. All problems are fixable.
In all my years of using a computer, I've never reinstalled Windows or had to reformat the hard drive. Everything is fixable. Anyone who tells you otherwise is full of horse poop."

daba 23:23 31 Mar 03

Yes but probably he's only been using a computer for a year - lol.

That's why he wrote the book I suppose

Only 'avin a larf Dan

woodchip 23:26 31 Mar 03

Do you manage to get all the sticky sweet papers out of your car. If it's done as it should be after a format you need something to make a full backup of the drive. Then when you come to want a clean drive, just reinstall the Image backup. It will take just five minutes to reinstall a full working system as and when you made the Image

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…