Reformating and reinstalling windows millennium

herc182 20:05 30 Oct 05

My girlfriends laptop has been the bane of my life for a few years now.

Need to reformat c drive and reinstall millenium (i want a clean slate).

i have searched the forum and the information i have got is good except:

how do i reformat without a floppy drive? i have heard you need a boot disc but the floppy drive is not in the laptop (only two cd drives).
can i reformat from the msdos prompt in windows? or how do i restart in msdos mode (and what command do i type in?)?

Once reformated is it a case of putting in the cd that came with her laptop?

thanks

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:20 30 Oct 05
  Taff™ 20:51 30 Oct 05

Before you start run Belarc Advisor which will give you all your CD Keys. I assume you have the original ME disc and the laptop driver disks. Everest Home Edition is also free and will identify specific components with direct links to manufacturers drivers.

herc182 22:17 30 Oct 05

thanks for your replies.

I have put in the CD but when i restart it doesnt give me an option to reformat. it just goes to widows then i have to go to my computer and start the CD. its not the OS, its a more userfriendly type CD.

how else can i reformat?

thanks

VoG II 22:26 30 Oct 05

Set the BIOS to boot from the CD click here

herc182 18:15 31 Oct 05

thanks for your link VoG. I will create a boot CD, reformat and then how do i reinstall windows?
the CD that came with the dell laptop is not actually a windows millenium cd it just contains it amongst other things.
any idea how i would go about it?

thanks

WhiteTruckMan 18:29 31 Oct 05

If you have Nero on a PC (mine is v6) then there is an option to burn a (dos)bootable cd.

When I got my HP laptop, after a couple of weeks familiarisation (aka messing about) I trashed the hp customised windows and put my own clean one one, just using the driver disc that came with the machine. IMHO a lot of problems with factory built machines can be traced to the nonsense that manufacturers say you WILL have on your machine.

WTM

Hint: do a search in the computing section of ebay for 'windows millenium'

Taff™ 08:19 01 Nov 05

You have a restore CD from Dell. Once you have set the laptop to boot from CD as Vog`s link this CD will restore everything to ex-factory settings. It will load all the original drivers etc. That`s one way of doing it but as stated you get all the Dell stuff as well - not necessarily a bad thing though.

The alternative is to run Belarc Advisor and print out the results. This will give you the legitimate CD Keys for ME and other things. Borrow another Full ME disc and use that to wipe the drive and do a fresh install using your original CD Keys.

Everest Home will identify some of the drivers you need and I`m pretty sure the Dell site will provide you with any others you need.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos