reformating a laptop, best operating system to use

josie mayhem 00:13 10 Apr 04

Tomorrow I intend to reformat my laptop, a old p11 300hz, 64mb mem.

At the moment it has win 2000 pro on it, which I can reinstall. But I have also a copy of win98 I can use. I would also like to network it with my desktop.

Desktop, is xp home. NTFS formatted.

Which is the best os, to use for networking.

I did intend to replace with win98, hoping that this wasn't so hungry on the memory, but will each computer be able to see each other?

And, concidering the lack of memory, could I actualy increase my virtual mem on the hard drive (20g) would this give any advantage.

I intend to get extra memory, but because of age, and being a toshiba portege 3110ct, its hard to find at a price I'm willying to pay, and the max is a very small 196 mbs.

Any advice/suggestion welcome

keith-236785 00:34 10 Apr 04

You will be able to network windows 98 and win XP (i have done it). for the spec you have on your laptop, i think win98 is probably the best you will get. winXP requires a lot of memory which you havent got ( my desktop is currently using 200mb of my 512mb ddr). and the proc, although it meets minimum spec would be very slow.

20gig HD is ample for win98, leave virtual memory alone (let windows sort it out).

i have never used windows2000 so i cannot comment on it.

gudgulf 00:38 10 Apr 04

Win 98 can't read ntfs format files so I think that unless both pc's are using fat32 you will have problems.

AubreyS 00:44 10 Apr 04

I have installed XP Pro on a similar spec laptop, 128 Mb RAM. It worked really well. I have some old Tosh laptop memory that might work on your laptop. Let me know if you'd like it by email.

I have a similar laptop,Portege3490ct with 250mb RAM which you can find at affordable price.I think the RAM issue isnt a problem as NTFS files,this is what u need to think about.good luck

LeadingMNMs 10:01 10 Apr 04

I'm sure that I can see files from my Win XP machines on my Win 98 machine, and both XP ones use NTFS. Win 98 is probably the best as you can use the wizard to set up the network, whereas 2000 is incompatible with the XP wizard and requires manual setup.

On the other hand, 2000 has alot more feature and is designed more for use on networks. I have had little experience of 2000 myself and have only really used it when configuring the laptop it is on, to see the network. Since then its been hardly used.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…