Reformating HD and removing old XP

cinabar 11:35 19 Jul 06

I have been told I have a problem with my existing XP home and need to dump it. I've bought a new xp home and now need to reformat the hd and install this one. I have backed up all my other files to an external hd. I remember this item being on here some time ago, but cant remember the way it was done. must be getting old...........

VoG II 11:39 19 Jul 06
  ArrGee 11:41 19 Jul 06
  Diemmess 11:41 19 Jul 06

An almost identical problem now running-
click here

cinabar 13:59 19 Jul 06

Thanks for the help. The problem was that I needed to reformat with the old version of xp already on the pc, before I installed the new version. Apart from ArrGee that doesn't seem to have been resolved as yet. Maybe I'm thick.

ArrGee, will this disc wiper get rid of just the windows (and other files) and not affect the bois, etc?

ArrGee 14:01 19 Jul 06

This will remove all data on the drive, but your bios will remain intact.

ArrGee 14:02 19 Jul 06

As an alternative, you could use software from the disc manufacturer. What make/model is the drive?

ventanas 14:04 19 Jul 06

Follow the instructions in the link given by VoG. If you have a new XP CD its all you need. Just boot with it and it will reformat your hard drive, getting rid of your old version, and reinstall the new version of XP.

There is no need to use any other program to wipe your gard drive.

Make sure you have any required installation files for your hardware. Graphics, sound drivers etc.

cinabar 14:23 19 Jul 06

Again thanks, VoG didn't make that clear, least not for an oldun like me!!!!!!!!!
ArrGee, thanks I will go that way if I have trouble with VoG's answer.

ventanas 16:26 19 Jul 06

Here's another similar site (but with bigger images

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…