Reformating HD and removing old XP?

CaleI 11:37 21 Mar 04

Hiya folks

It's come to that time again when I need to wipe the slate clean and reformat my Hard Drive. My problem, is that the last few times I reinstalled XP, although when I boot up it looks like a fresh install, all my old files are left behind.

The last time I had to partition the disk because X wouldnt allow me to install over the existing OS.

What I want to do is completely format the HD and remove all the old crap that's built up, and then install a fresh XP.

How can I do this?

AndySD 11:54 21 Mar 04

Boot with the XP cd and press R for the Recovery Console. At the prompt type in

format c: /q

hit return.

Reboot and load windows.

click here and have a look.

CaleI 15:08 21 Mar 04

ok, tried that. I hit R and select the windows installation, then it asks me for the administrators password which I dont know.. Any way round this?

CaleI 15:12 21 Mar 04

Ignore above

Just found this, will give it a try

"To configure the recovery console to not require you to enter the administrator password, perform the following steps:

Start a registry editor (e.g., regedit.exe).
Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole registry subkey.
Double-click SecurityLevel, set its value to 1 to not require password entry (or 0 to require the user to enter the password), then click OK.
Close the registry editor. "

CaleI 19:04 23 Mar 04

Bingo, above worked like a charm and reformat wnet without a glitch.

Thanks for the help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…