Reformating Friends PC

Freddog™ 09:30 04 Feb 06

Hi,
I am reformating my friend Mary's PC, it has got virus after virus, Spy Sweeper and McAfee don't seem to help much, but anyway. She wants to save all 691 emails if she can, is there a quick way to do this? If I try and send them all via an attachment it gives me a BSC so I can't really do that. Mary is looking forward to her next phone bill, as the PC has been hijacked by the virus that makes you dial-up to a different number. Software is OK, I have the discs, but what is the easiest way of saving My Documents and emails? The PC is refusing my network and my network is refusing the PC as they are so stubborn. Would it be easiest to put a spare HDD in the machine?

Longhouse 09:55 04 Feb 06

Do you have and can you acces a CD writer?

I run Win ME and usually copy the contents of the folder

windows\Application data\Identities\{*****}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

along with adrress book + favorites + my documents and any other data files need to a slave drive.

The e-mails can be recovered by importing them back into OE after a re-install of the OS. Same with the other info.

Longhouse

Taw® 12:29 04 Feb 06

Either purshase a reasonable usb pen drive or committ to a n external usb hard drive, quite cheap. Only thing is you may transfer the virus

Press Man 13:22 04 Feb 06

Freddog,

Do you have the March editon of PCA Iss 128, if so use Genie-Soft Backup Manager 4.0 which is on the DVD this will do all you want and more.

Freddog™ 19:20 05 Feb 06

I did it with a spare hard drive without trnsfering the virus. It's all gone brilliant earned £20 so yeah! I like the tips and will use them for other things. Thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now