Reformat, without replacing XP.

ventanas 16:51 13 Apr 04

ventanas 16:56 13 Apr 04

Don't know how this happened. Posted without asking the question. Anyway, Ive got a pc running XP pro, and I want to put a new (smaller) hard drive into it, and use the existing drive as a backup in another machine already running XP Pro. What I need to do is to wipe this drive so it is an empty NTFS volume. I can't see any way to do, unless I put it in the other machine first and format it there with disc mamagement. I would prefer to install a clean drive though.

Please does anyone have any ideas.

rubella 17:15 13 Apr 04

boot from a 98 floppy

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 17:22 13 Apr 04

Try right click my comp then select manage then disk managment you should be able to format the drive from there.I dont know if ive read it right or not but you cant format a system drive
in the machine its installed in but you can format a slave drive you could install the small drive set it to master install xp on that then boot from it and format the other drive in disc managment.

anon1 17:26 13 Apr 04

You can format a system drive in the installed machine. You just do it from the command prompt.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 17:29 13 Apr 04

Not from disc managment as was mentioned.

ventanas 21:25 13 Apr 04

That's my problem, you cannot format the system drive. I wasn't aware the command prompt method would work either as the system would still be in Windows. Looks like it's a boot floppy or perhaps the hard drive's own setup program from Seagate. I'll give it some thought. Thanks for the replies.

pc moron 21:41 13 Apr 04

The only way I know of deleting an NTFS drive (unless you use disk management, like you say) is to use FDisk, a DOS Format won't work.

ventanas 21:44 13 Apr 04

Yep, that's what I thought. I think the easiest way is to just stick it in the other machine and use disc management. Just hope it doesn't get confused with the boot order and load the wrong XP. Thanks everyone.

AndySD 21:46 13 Apr 04

Boot with the XP cd and choose the Recovery Console

Type in

format C: /Q

(if it is the c drive you wish to format.) Hit Enter/Return.

ventanas 21:55 13 Apr 04

Well, well, well. Thank you very much. I've actually just found a whole list of Recovery Console commands in my XP Inside Out book, and your suggestion is there. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…