reformat win 98

zebbydog 18:29 20 Aug 04

I have just formated and installed win 98 se for a friend and the cd drive doe's not show in mycomputer and it will not play discs it has a yellow mark in device manager and says might be a driver problem he has no software for it.
Ihave tried to down load drivers on my pc as he is not on internet it is a matsumi 48 dual speed but it still will not work .any ideas please.

Also how did it read the widows cd to load the os.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:53 20 Aug 04

When you loaded the 98 boot disc it installed some basic drivers for the CD (OAK if I remember correctly.)

The windows drivers are the ones causing the problem uninstall the drive and update the drivers. should solve the problem.

You may be able to load the driers from the bbot disk?

Sans le Sou 19:02 20 Aug 04

Hello - the windows drivers should have been installed from the Win98 disk. Suggest you do as Fruit Bat has indicated, Windows should detect your hardware and install the driver.

zebbydog 19:18 20 Aug 04

uninstalled cd rom loaded new drivers from floppy rebooted and installed cd rom and still the same

Sans le Sou 19:26 20 Aug 04
  zebbydog 19:40 20 Aug 04

According to the site everything should be ok,but it will not work only to load the windows cd

Terry Brown 20:15 20 Aug 04

go to device manager, select the yellow ?, and uninstall.then refresh. It shoud find the drivers and set up system.[2] Go into the BIOS and see if the CD ROM has been found, if not, follow your motherboard / Bios setting to find the drive. [3] Are you sure the cables are correctly connected and firmly pushed in.[4] I assume your win98 CD is in good condition and contains all the original values (i.e. Not a copied CD, with some of the system / hidden files missing. Go to click here and select win98se and make a new boot disk.

woodchip 20:35 20 Aug 04

Try a new Ribbon Cable on the Drive

zebbydog 09:33 21 Aug 04

Fitted new cable as woodchip said and all now seams ok, cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…