Reformat -taking the plunge

dagbladet 11:09 21 Sep 07

After 5-6 years of sterling service my XP desktop is probably in need of a reformat. It has struggled manfully with all sorts of abuse, mostly my well intentioned experimentation with various system 'optimizers', tweakers, registry improvers, defragers etc (mostly inneffective/damaging). I have tried to be methodical. I've downloaded everything I think I need to an ext HDD, I've used a driver back-up programme and saved to both ext HDD and disk and i'm in the process of writing down the myriad of usernames and passwords for various services.

I have dug out the(recovery?)disks that I made from the partition when I first switched the machine on.

I have a couple of questions;

1) Have I forgotten anything in my pre format prep?

2) Why does the recovery programme fill 4 disks, when Windows fits on one?

Ta.

rdave13 11:23 21 Sep 07

Have you saved all your bookmarks in your browsers?
Re the disks, restored on four cd's possibly. I created one dvd restore disk for laptop. XP aldo on dvd. Good luck.

dagbladet 11:52 21 Sep 07

Thanks so far.

Using firefox, is there some kind of 'save my bookmarks' button somewhere? Currently at work so no access to Firefox here.

rdave13
What I mean is, if Windows can fit on one CD, what might have been in that recovery partition that required 4 cds, if you know what I mean?

Confab 12:13 21 Sep 07

I know its probably not much use to you at this precise point in time but I would seriously consider getting a copy of Acronis True Image click here . It makes restoring a PC a complete doddle, restoring everything back to how you had it when the back-up was made in about 20 minutes.

Quiller. 12:17 21 Sep 07

'save my bookmarks' > favorites?

my computer > c drive > documents and settings > dagbladet ( name of your folder ) > favorites.

Just copy and paste to were you want it to be saved.

dagbladet 12:23 21 Sep 07

Confab

I have actually got a ATI image on a hard drive, but it was made well into my tinkering stage. Nice reminder though. If the re-format goes OK, I'll make a new image then. Ta.

bjh 12:23 21 Sep 07

Firefox Bookmark Export:

Bookmarks >> Organise Bookmarks

This brings up Bookmark Manager, and File >> Export saves the whole lot as a webpage, useful in itself.

File >> Import er .... imports them again!

Easy and it works, which is always a bonus.

dagbladet 12:24 21 Sep 07

quiller

Ta, I'll look at it when I get home. I assume that post format it's just a case of copy and paste from disc to a folder in Firefox?

dagbladet 12:26 21 Sep 07

bjh

Spot on thanks.

Obviously if a had Firefox in front of me, I would have a fiddle, but i'm at work.

Cheers

rdave13 23:22 21 Sep 07

Just back from work, sorry could not reply sooner. Those Cd's will contain your OS and also your mobo's drivers if I remember rightly. Someone might correct me here but if you've upgraded any of the hardware since buying the PC then the recovery software might not recognize your PC.
Last time I used a recovery disk I had to remove the graphics card as originally it was set up with on-board graphics. Not sure if ram upgrade will make a difference though.

dagbladet 00:47 22 Sep 07

Nice one. I have changed the graphics card, though I've no idea if I kept the old one. Project on 24 hour hold, as I can't find recovery disk number 3(of 4). It'll be in the loft with a load of old software I put up there last year. Come to think of it, that's probably where the old graphics card is too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now