REFORMAT & REINSTALL WINDOWS WITH USB EXT CD DRIVE

MOMBASA 05:43 16 Mar 04

How can I reformat and re-install windows on my laptop - the internal cd rom is broken? I have a USB external cd drive but the start up disk does not find it and install the drivers.

Any help appreciated

Valvegrid 06:31 16 Mar 04

I managed to do that once by partitioning the laptop drive into two, then installing DOS 6.2 onto the laptop, then using INTERLNK.EXE transferring the contents of the Windows CD Rom to one of the partitions on the laptop. It will take some time because it is a serial connection, but leave it running overnight and it will be ready for you in the morning to install windows.

Both computers must be capable of running DOS.

This tells you how: click here

temp003 08:06 16 Mar 04

It's going to be a bit of a pain.

Has the laptop got a floppy drive? If so, an alternative is to download some DOS usb drivers, create a DOS boot floppy, make changes to the config.sys and/or autoexec.bat files to get DOS to load the usb drivers, and then install from the CD, or copy contents from CD to hard disk, and start installation from hard disk.

There are different DOS usb drivers floating around, and there's no sure driver which will work with your particular model.

You can try click here

The DUSE files are free for download and include instructions.

For the USBdrivers, you need to make a small donation.

Some of the USB drivers are available elsewhere for free download. You can try those first. click here read the article and the links to download are at the bottom of the page.

temp003 08:59 16 Mar 04

The drivers can also be downloaded from click here at the bottom of the page - local copies.

nerawan 11:19 16 Mar 04

Why don't buy a new internal hard drive...It costs only £50.

nerawan 11:21 16 Mar 04

Sorry...An internal c.d. player...I got mine at the comp. fair near Tothenham Court Road on saturdays and sundays.

JJCUK 11:43 16 Mar 04

click here

£10.20

save yourself the hassle

JerryJay 12:00 16 Mar 04

JJCUK,

How can you fit this to a laptop?

Sciron 12:07 16 Mar 04

dont think you can...............or i should say, you can not...

JerryJay 12:09 16 Mar 04

Some bios support boot up from external usb device? If this is the case, you could try to get a big (say 256MB) usb stick, make it bootable, boot up, transfer win cd content use usb stick, you may need to use file spliter to split some big files.

Valvegrid's solution is also possible, but only problem's dos program does not support long file names.

If you have access to a Lan (Local Area network), you may also the IT support guy to copy CD content to your laptop for you.

JJCUK 12:36 16 Mar 04

Sorry not reading whole post again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…