Reformat an old laptop with 98

andy625 16:45 03 Mar 05

I have an old 233 laptop, that I'd like to reformat with windows 98. Is there an easy (ie put x floppy in the drive, 98 cd in the cd slot, reboot and follow the instructions)way of doing it? I'm not too clued up on dos commands etc. A friend gave me an "ultimate boot disk" which I think may do something like it, but I havent played around with it.

ventanas 16:57 03 Mar 05

Memory's a bit dim now, but is Win98 installed at the moment. If so just choose to restart in dos and type format c:

If not boot with the floppy and when you get to the A:> prompt again type format c:

As I recall Win98 creates a temporary ram drive which pushes the CD drive down one letter until the install is complete. So if the CD drive is D insert the CD and type E:\setup.

If I've forgotten anything no doubt someone will say so.

JonnyTub 17:06 03 Mar 05

as per ventenas, except you should only have to type setup or setup.exe on it's own with the drive letter preceding it.

JonnyTub 17:06 03 Mar 05

sorry that's without the drive letter preceeding it.

andy625 17:15 03 Mar 05

Thanks guys.

One other thing I mean't to ask: Is there a way of saving all the windows updates that I've downloaded? I understand that 98 is not supported by miscosoft for updates anymore is this correct?

Belatucadrus 17:45 03 Mar 05

"ultimate boot disk" really makes it very easy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…