Reformat an NTFS partition and re-install XP

bb2 12:05 03 Nov 04

I have Windows XP Professional installed on my C: drive (an NTFS partition).

For various reasons I want to reformat the said drive and reinstall XP, but I can't find any instructions as to how to do this. My boot disk doesn't 'see' the NTFS partition, and my XP CD-ROM doesn't seem to give me the option to reformat the partition.

Help, please.

AndySD 12:19 03 Nov 04

Boot with the XP CD and choose Repair to go into the Recovery Console.

At the command prompt use

format C:

Smegs 12:22 03 Nov 04

click here Have a read here.

bb2 12:27 03 Nov 04

I'd like to try this, but when I choose the repair option from the CD-ROM it asks me for the Administrator password, and I don't know what that was. I don't recall setting an Administrator password, and I've tried the ones I would have used to no avail.

Can I get round this? - I am the Administrator!

Smegs 12:33 03 Nov 04

click here Keep an eye on this thread.

AndySD 12:37 03 Nov 04
  ob1ie 13:24 03 Nov 04

I have had a similiar problem before. To get round it I used the Windows 98 boot disk. It doesn't see NTFS, but it you enter FDISK at the command prompt you can use FDISK to delete the Non-Dos partition. Once deleted, exit FDISK and then restart using the XP CD. The CD will then ask you to create a new partition and format the hard drive as NTFS.

bb2 14:39 03 Nov 04

Had a flash of inspiration and tried my own name for Administrator password - it worked!

Have now reformatted the C: partition from the command prompt by typing Format C: /FS:NTFS

Have reinstalled Windows XP and all is now well.

Thanks for all for their help.

Had a flash of inspiration and tried my own name for Administrator password - it worked!

Have now reformatted the C: partition from the command prompt by typing Format C: /FS:NTFS

joseph K 17:24 03 Nov 04

Brill! Thanks I coiuld do with them. Good luck bbc2.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…