Reformat! but no 98 disc

mikegm7 07:45 14 Jun 04

I may have to reformat a friends hard drive [win 98],but cannot find windows disc. Is there a 98 folder under windows I can copy to the cdrw which would enable me to do this, or how would this be done without a 98 disc? Thanks

Gongoozler 07:58 14 Jun 04

Sorry to tell you this mikegm7, but if you need to reformat because Windows isn't working properly, then you have to have a Windows 98 disk. You'll have to beg borrow or buy one. If, on the other hand your friend's Windows installation is ok and you have another reason for reformatting, then you can use a software utility to copy the contents of your C drive to a temporary location and then reinstall it as it was after reformatting.

mikegm7 08:08 14 Jun 04

This is what I thought. She should have had a disc when she purchased the machine. I will have to tell her to keep looking!!! Ta.

Eric10 08:24 14 Jun 04

Since you are talking about copying to CD-RW I assume that Windows is working after a fashion. If you have a Windows\Options\Cabs folder it should contain all the Cab files needed to reinstall Windows 98. Just burn this folder to CD as you first suggested and you can reinstall from it. If you don't have the product key recorded anywhere then use keyfinder click here to get it before you start.

Gongoozler 09:38 14 Jun 04

Hi Eric10. I think Windows\Options\Cabs is only complete if the computer is supplied with Windows preinstalled and no CD is supplied. Otherwise the folder only contains a small number of files. If the cab folder is complete, do you know how is it used to reinstall Windows?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…