Reformat and install Windows XP

hector710 11:08 11 Jan 05

I want to reformat my computer, then install XP home; at present it works with XP home,(an upgrade version), but is very sluggish. I have now got XP home full version. The bios lets me boot using a cd rom, so I have done so. The windows set up program starts,loading various drivers. Then come 3 options, 1 Install, 2 repair, 3 close without installing.( I chose option 3, to get advice)At some stage, will the install program ask me if I want to reformat. I don't simply want to install over the old copy.

Diodorus Siculus 11:11 11 Jan 05

The first option, install, will give the option to reformat and reninstall windows.

Diodorus Siculus 11:12 11 Jan 05

Windows XP Home Install Guide
click here

Happy37 11:22 11 Jan 05

hector710

Please repeat the above process that you detailed in your post.

You are going okay up to where you say:-

" The bios lets me boot using a cd rom, so I have done so. The windows set up program starts, loading various drivers. "

The setup program will start as you said, you pick option 1 to install, and it will go through checking your disks and so on, and it will ask you at some point to read the user license agreement.

Press the F8 key, and you will then be asked to confirm your installation options.

What you can simply do is to pick the partition where your previous copy of Windows is and overwrite it.

You will be told that you are overwriting this previous operating system and all other data on the hard drive.

Select the option to overwrite it, either by selecting yes or whatever key it asks you to press to confirm overwriting, and then it will go through deleting the partition and reinstalling Windows for you.

One thing that I say to everyone is that to make sure to backup everything that you want to keep from the partition onto CD, DVD or disks whatever and then do the re-format.

Any problems or issued, post back and then we'll take it from there.

Good luck.

hector710 11:31 11 Jan 05

Thanks for the info. I shall print this page, then connect my laptop to my broadband set up so I can keep in touch.I have backed up as suggested.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…