Reformat hard drive befor reinstalling XP

quill 18:32 01 May 05

Help please.

I am trying to sort out a friend's machine which seems jinxed. Basically I want to reformat the hard drive and reinstall XP. I can get the machine running in safe mode but it hangs frequently and will not reinstall XP from the CD.

So I need to find out how to access the format command in order to reformat the hard drive? I've done it on Win 98 systems but clearly XP is different.
Sorry if this seems like an idiot's question - I'd be grateful for any help.

Carpigiani 18:45 01 May 05

Set the CD drive as 1st boot device.
Boot the system with the Windows CD in the drive, you can then reformat & reinstall from the CD.

quill 18:58 01 May 05

Thanks for the response - but I've tried that and it hangs, so can't make any progress.
Any other ideas?

Carpigiani 19:07 01 May 05

Have you tried uninstalling any anti-virus program that is on the machine. Assuming that you can get the system running long enough to do that.

Anti-virus programs can cause windows installations to hang.

quill 19:16 01 May 05

Yes I've done taht, but the system is so inconsistent & unpredictable I assume there is a resident worm or trojan which is why I want to reformat.

VoG II 19:18 01 May 05

Format using a boot disk click here

quill 19:53 01 May 05

I've downloaded the programme and trid botting from the floppy, but it gets stuck at the CD Rom device driver - device name Tomato, what is this about? - and I don't know how to proceed.
Is this software good - it reads well, but that's not the full story!

quill 20:06 01 May 05

Making slow progress with bootdisc utility, but my keyboard does not respond when we get to teh a prompt, so I cannot proceed.
Any advice?

VoG II 20:08 01 May 05

Is it a USB keyboard?

quill 20:19 01 May 05

No its not a USB keyboard.
In fact, I just managed at the 20th attempt to type at the A prompt, but unfortunately it claimed my instruction was invalid then it seized up, so I'm back to trying again to get back to the a prompt with a recognised keyboard. This system I'm trying to sort out is seriously deranged - it is so inconsistent!

dan11 20:22 01 May 05

Is your computer running XP? If so set the hard drive as slave and format it in your computer. This should get rid of the nasties.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…