Is reformat essential after motherboard upgrade?

I am thinking of upgrading my Asus A7V333 motherboard as this only supports AGP 4X whereas my graphics card, a Sapphire Radeon 9700, is 8X compaible.

I believe that a reformat and reinstall is recomended following such an upgrade but just how vital is this because I don't really want to go throgh the motions of reinstalling everything on my machine.

The board I have my eye on is the AOpen AK77-8XN.

The Sack 23:19 19 Sep 03

Vital because of the chipsets used.

DieSse 23:21 19 Sep 03

I think Highly recommended is the best phrase. If you don't you may have unusual and dfficult to pinpoint problems.

I would question the wisdom of putting in a new motherboard if the sole reason is to get 8x AGP instead of 4x. I just cannot imagine the performance gain would be worth it. I'm willing to be proven wrong if you have some good benchmarks that say otherwise, using the processor and RAM (or very similar), to that which you have now.

The Sack, would it not be possible to just install the drivers for the different chipset, assuming the PC would boot following the upgrade

You make a good point about performance gain, DieSee. I don't have any evidence to support this but just assumed that there would be a noticible improvment.

The other thing is that I am thining of building a PC for my son and was considering using my existing motherboard, processor and RAM for this purpose.

The other compoenents I currenly have are an AMD XP2000+ and 512MB of PC2700 RAM and yet I still suffer some slow down when playing some games, althugh this may be the result of something else. This never used to be a problem and I am now running games at a lower resolution becaus I have a TFT monitor. I did reformat my drive a couple of months ago and now use NTFS as opposed to FAT32 so I don't know if this is the cause. I have the latest drivers for my graphics card.

DieSse 00:04 20 Sep 03

I've never found it impossible to get a system working wth a new and different motherboard - when events force it (broken M/b for instance).

But long gone are the days when I just left it at that, to be called back time and again for niggling problems.

So yes, you can get it going (and WinXP is better at this than earlier versions) but don't bank on anything other than a bumpy ride afterwards.

Better to bite the bullet and do it properly IMHO.

Terrahawk 00:53 20 Sep 03

i would have to agree with what has been said above a clean install would be the best route to take though it may be a bit long winded in the long run it could save you from problems

Mango Grummit 02:23 20 Sep 03

Always go for a clean install in this situation.

But then if the situation itself can be avoided, that's much the best bet. If not, yes -- clean install.

John-259217 03:53 20 Sep 03

Why not build a new, fast, system for yourself and give the old one to your son?

Use XP`s files and settings transfer wizard and avoid the problems of driver incompatability or data loss completely.

I`ve replaced a couple of failed mobo`s (with different models) and on both occasions I gave up trying to achieve a stable system - a fresh install and data restore from backups worked much better.

I suspect the more differences between the boards the less your chances of a good result but good luck if you do try it.

Thanks for replies.

I thouhgt from the outset that a reformat and reinstall would be required but was hoping that this could be avoided. I guess the only thing to do is carry out the upgrade first and see what happens.

m73John, I was considering your suggestion of building myself a faster system, with components being so cheap these days.

As mentioned above, I have been looking at the AOpen AK77-8XN. Does anyone have experience with AOpen boards?

siouxah1 13:46 20 Sep 03

JamesF,

Upgraded a system in Jan of this year with the Aopen AX4PE Max and P4 2.4, PC2700.

Good manual and set up very easy. No problems whatsoever. Booted up after reformat with no problems.

Regards Brian j

siouxah1 13:54 20 Sep 03

PS.

forgot to mention. Look out for use of single/double sided memory. If I use double sided memory in banks 1 and 2 then bank three should not be used. If it is, then banks 2 and 3 will only read one side.

Not sure if it is the same as the AK77 you have chosen.

Regards Brian j

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…