Reformat done but some things not there

Ade_1 18:21 07 May 06

Hi, i reformatted my comptuer expecintg the software to be there which i got with the computer as it was a recovery CD made by dell's application on the computer. However it wasnt so i went to download it again from dells download site. However whne i downlado it it doesnt work properly and none of the sonic software (which is mainly what i need) isnt working. I tried reinstalling Dell Media Experiance as it is somethign to do with that i think but that didnt work either and that was from a CD i got with the computer.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Aidan

Ade_1 18:22 07 May 06

(i forgot to add, i know tht when you format you lose everythign which i what i wanted, but i expected the software to have been on the CD i made with dell's application to do a recovery CD)

Pineman100 18:28 07 May 06

Did you format your hard drive and then run Dell's recovery CD?
In my (limited) experience, that's not the way these manufacturer's recovery CD's normally work. You run the CD under Windows, and it then offers you a choice of a part recovery (reinstall Windows and software but lose no data) or a full recovery (back to square one, clean up everything and resinstall the whole factory setup).
Could this be the problem?

Ade_1 18:31 07 May 06

yes i think it is, ah well, ill have to find some more software from somewhere...

SG Atlantis® 18:34 07 May 06

I think you should not have formatted. With these recovery set ups most of what you need is on a separate partition on the HDD, the recovery cd accesses this. Your format most likely removed this.

With my compaq I put the recovery disk in and choose destructive option. That effectively puts the machine back to square one with no data, apart from OS and Apps that came with.

My recovery cd holds a few hundred meg yet the recovery partition hass almost 4 gig used space.

SG Atlantis® 18:36 07 May 06

Is it just burning software you need?

Nero can be had for a few quid or there's plenty of free burners.

Ade_1 18:43 07 May 06

Yeh it is, i have found pervious discs in my house these are :
Nero 5
Roxio Easy CD Creator 5

Ade_1 18:47 07 May 06

Forgot to add - its version 5.5 OEM version

Im just looking on Novatech click here
and i saw Nero 6 only to be sold with DVD burner and an on its own one for £9.40 OEM version though.... Can i actually buy that or not because im not buying any hardware...

SG Atlantis® 18:47 07 May 06

click here

or click here and buy package 3 for £5.49

SG Atlantis® 18:49 07 May 06

You can buy it in my second link.

Ade_1 18:49 07 May 06

thansk for that SG - The SVP Site, have you used it before? and is there anything syaying about its security just i cant find anything to say that it is. I always look for the Verisign and Thwart, that type of thing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…