reformat with dead laptop monitor

Wingnut198244 18:33 14 Jan 09

I have a sony laptop with a bad LCD so I have been using a monitor I picked up for cheap, no problems there.

However I recently had the need to format and reinstall windows(xp) and as soon as I rebooted to finalize the install my monitor went blank. It shows the xp loading screen but after than nothing.

I cant boot to safe mode because, well there is no windows to boot. Im stuck between a rock and a hard place and any advice would be greatly welcome. Im sure I left some needed info out but Ill try to promptly reply with anything else you need to know.

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:37 14 Jan 09

key combo to change to monitor?

Wingnut198244 18:48 14 Jan 09

no sadly that is not the fix :( I have tried it. And as I said the monitor works when its first booting up but when the restore process comes up it goes blank

ashdav 19:00 14 Jan 09

Can you set the default display device in the bios ?

ambra4 19:39 14 Jan 09

You need to set the laptop to display both laptop screen and external display if just set to

external the screen will default back to the laptop screen when you power up or reboot

the laptop

Hold down the FN key and press the CRT/LCD key once

Display will change as follows

Press once laptop display only

Press again external display only

Press again both laptop and external display

You must hold down the FN key each time you press the CRT/LCD key

Wingnut198244 20:22 14 Jan 09

I am aware of this key combination and it is not working, normaly though it does

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:14 14 Jan 09

You will need to load driver disk that came with laptop for graphics and keyboard. Not sure how you are going to do this without screen, will need to think a little more.

woodchip 21:18 14 Jan 09

How old the Laptop? could it be it as a Sata Hard Drive and needs Drivers loading?

But you should still be able to get to BIOS try it to see if it will go to BIOS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5