reformat advise and help required

johnnyrocker 12:15 17 Mar 05

i have a maxtor 80 gig hard drive which i am now using as external 'f' drive in a mobile disk case (prev post refers lol) when i first bought it didn't have a clue and when i had fitted it in an old machine i ended up with only 7 gig space which i put up with til i got a new machine what i want to do is format it so i have the 80 gig available for storage off my main machine, not a clue how to go about it and am in need of help folks, from memory it has win me on it i believe but not bothered about that.

MichelleC 12:34 17 Mar 05

It's best to fdisk and delete all partitions which will reclaim the lost gbs. Here's a talk thro click here You'll need a 98 floppy boot disc click here

woodt 12:39 17 Mar 05

Try here for starters

click here

it's a link to microsoft knowledge base.

johnnyrocker 12:39 17 Mar 05

will i still need a floppy boot if it is not my primary drive? i really am a newbie to this side of things.

woodt 12:42 17 Mar 05

click here Is a better link for formatting a slave or second hard drive.

woodt 12:46 17 Mar 05

Have you tried the easiest option i.e right click the drive in My Computer and select format.

woodt 12:47 17 Mar 05

Make sure you get the correct drive.

johnnyrocker 12:52 17 Mar 05

thanks to all i think i was going to ask about the right click option and i think i will try it.

johnnyrocker 14:12 17 Mar 05

well i tried the right click/format idea and nothing happened, it is exactly the same with nothing taken off it. all i want is a big storage area and it is being a pain.

johnnyrocker 14:13 17 Mar 05

wht is the fat ntfs options and which is better to use?

SANTOS7 14:19 17 Mar 05

click here
this may help its a dedicated tool for formating Maxtor HDDs,good luck......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…