reformat 2nd hdd

bamfiesler 11:27 15 Feb 05

Not sure if I'm doing this right. Opening command prompt and want to re-format the older 'd'drive, which is FAT32. I am not allowed to progress as I get a message stating path to drive still active?

Any ideas?

Thanks to all, etc.

ventanas 11:42 15 Feb 05

Which version of Windows do you have? If XP right-click My Computer and choose Manage. Click on Disc Management in the right hand pane. You will see a graphic representation of your drives on the right. Right-click on the drive you want to format and choose format from the options. Then just follow the prompts. If it still refuses something is using the drive. You will need to discover what it is.

plsndrs3 11:43 15 Feb 05

I had a similar issue - are there programs running that are installed on D drive? I have aquadock [a stand alone version of MS Quicklaunch] and this was on the drive. Closed this in task Manager [ALT+CTRL+DEL] and was then able to delete.

HTH

Paul

bamfiesler 11:53 15 Feb 05

Ventanas

Yeah I tried that yesterday, and the status of the 'd' drive is 'active'. I can't think what's in use on it. Something on the 'c' drive is seeing a path to the 'd'.

Using WinXP Pro

ventanas 12:17 15 Feb 05

As you are going to format it anyway why not just delete everything folder by folder. If one says it is in use you have found the culprit.

Also could you have this drive set for your virtual memory? If so you must change it to elsewhere.

FelixTCat 12:31 15 Feb 05

Disconnect the power lead from the D: drive and reboot. See what Windows complains about. If Windows won't bot, it's telling you it's important.

Completealias 12:40 15 Feb 05

Why not use a 98 boot disk switch to the drive you want to format and format it as its a FAT32 partion all should b fine

bamfiesler 12:40 15 Feb 05

isn't it best to V.mem on you 'c' drive?

Anyway, I will try what you both suggest.

Thnx

ventanas 12:42 15 Feb 05

You ca't boot an XP system with a Win98 boot disc. Don't even try.

bamfiesler 12:43 15 Feb 05

Completealias

I want to reformat the drive as NTFS.

Completealias 12:44 15 Feb 05

If you mean your virtual memory normally this is on the drive with your windows install whatever drive that is

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…