Refilling a laser toner cartridge?

Diemmess 15:23 11 Jan 07

I have an Epson EPL5800 now nearing the end of its second toner cartridge.

I found this site click here which offers (2nd from bottom) a bottle of refill toner.

Experience of refilling inkjet cartridges of old taught me what a messy and unsatifactory business that can be. Lookalikes are better value! As for refilling a photocopier ages ago, that was the normal way even if I did look like I had swept the chimney!

The existing 5800 cartridge has a clear polythene bung at one end, which I assume will need removal for refilling, but the ad clearly states "No instructions."

I would like to know what any intrepid DIY'ers experience has been. Unlike inkjets there is £50 to be saved if it is a practical process?

Belatucadrus 15:58 11 Jan 07

Depends a lot on the cartridge, some like yous have plugs in the end and it's simply a case of pulling the plug then topping it up, others are more complex. All I can say is that like you I've found filling inkjets messy and frustrating, topping up the toner on my Samsung ML-1210 is an absolute doddle, provided you're careful when pouring, saved me a lot of money over the past few years.

n4165si 16:21 11 Jan 07

you can also buy a compatable refil cartridge from
click here and click here
and a company called .Print-Rite

Diemmess 17:34 11 Jan 07

Thank you both, that about settles it.

I like the print quality and speed of this printer, but doubt its life span through apparent cheese paring to keep its cost down.

So when I run out of toner - - (I have already saved the recommended sites), I will only then buy, in case the thing stops working first leaving me with useless toner.
The inkjet (photos only these days) will have to cope if briefly!

€dstowe 18:33 11 Jan 07

Don't know about the Epson one specifically but many cartridges (if they don't have an obvious plug) have a lid running the length of the cartridge held by 4 or 5 screws. Unfasten these and you get to the toner reservoir which you can then fill.

Miké 19:43 11 Jan 07

hclick here It appears your cartridge has a plug, I use rrefills in my HP laser no probs.

Diemmess 09:31 12 Jan 07

It is a couple of years since I searched for the refill and I'm sure there is greater choice now.

The plug looks like needing care and determination to remove, it certainly isn't going to fall out!

I just wanted and received, assurance that refilling is both cheap and practical.

Experience years ago with a 13 page/minute Richo photocopier.... now that WAS messy.
Refill was the only way, and involved sliding out the old cartridge, tearing a strip off the side of the new one, and then "taking it by surprise" to tip and close up the whole thing.

€dstowe 10:44 12 Jan 07

I've been refilling the office laser printers for ages now. First we had Samsung 1210's then 1610's and now we have HP 1800's

I used to think it was messy but, once you get used to doing it and don't wear your Sunday best, it's generally easy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now