Reference: "Asian 'Microsoft Help Desk' ?? "

johndrew 14:32 15 Nov 10

A short while ago the subject thread was started as a result of an unsolicited 'phone call click here

Apparently this problem is reaching epidemic proportions and was reported on the BBC TV lunch time news.

The 'phone number of those that contacted me is 02030261930. The 'phone went dead as the connection was made but I have Caller ID which provided the number. A search on the number reveals several hits such as click here and click here, but of more concern is that one is also click here which looks (and may be) genuine.

Beware all, and if you have any contacts that may be taken in by this perhaps a double effort is valid.

GaT7 14:46 15 Nov 10

Thanks for the warning. I sometimes receive unsolicited calls & this is a new one to me. But I very rarely answer if the number is unknown/withheld as, if genuine, they usually leave a message & number, which I just call back.

The Winpcsupport support website you linked to is situated in India (see domain info click here), so it may well be originating from them & may not be genuine. G

Sea Urchin 14:52 15 Nov 10

Basically anybody who calls you saying they have been advised that your PC is infected is not genuine. How would they know? If you need to call a "helpline" then at least you are initiating the contact. But these scam companies are now setting up "genuine" call centres, and even designing their own websites which may well come up on a Google search.

If you have a PC problem then I would advise contacting this PCA Forum as a first port of call.

KremmenUK 15:11 15 Nov 10

The best course of action here is to do as the BBC have done and make as many people aware of the scam as possible.

lotvic 20:18 15 Nov 10

winpcsupport.com is another of those sites that do not give a postal address, only contact is online or email.
I would keep well away.

_______
(And even if a company does list an address it's best to have a look at the premises with google streetview to check up on it)

johnnyrocker 22:18 15 Nov 10

the spelling errors on the winpcsupport site are a giveaway for a start.

johnny

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac